You know your products.
So why should we tell you how to make them?
If you haven't already read “FoxyCart is different” a dozen times by now, we'll say it again: FoxyCart is different. It’s not a CMS and it doesn’t create or manage your products (or your website for that matter) for you. The implications of this paradigm shift are far reaching, and depending on your needs it may make FoxyCart the perfect solution.
This allows you to be extremely flexible with your products, creating them exactly as you need to—and FoxyCart can understand them. Using a link or a form, your product information is passed into your FoxyCart customer's cart and stored for them to checkout and purchase. You can sell an unlimited number of products without limitations of type or options.
There are no limitations on what types of products you can create, how you create them, how many options they have, or etc. If you can build the add-to-cart link or form, FoxyCart can almost always handle the product, be that a simple product with just a name and a price, or a completely custom product with 50 unique options selected or entered by the customer.
Where do your products "live"?
So where do your products live? And what is a product? That's a good question. Simply put, a “product” in FoxyCart is simply anything that exists in the cart (put there via a GET (link) or POST (form) request, if you want specifics). By allowing you to manage your own product catalog we avoid requiring data replication (ie. where the data would live on your website and also in your database or inventory system or etc.). Some of the common things we see are:
- Products in an external database.
- Products in a CMS (database driven).
- Products hardcoded into a static website.
- Products dynamically generated based on customer input.
- What about security?! Glad you asked. We have one of the most secure yet flexible solutions to prevent link and form tampering.
- Inventory controls? Because FoxyCart really doesn't have any understanding of what your product catalog is, it can't control your inventory. If, however, you use a database or CMS for your products you can use a prebuilt integration or roll your own to add inventory capabilities using the instant datafeed and other more advanced functionality.
FoxyCart is completely free during development. Only pay when your store launches. Ready to get started or just want to poke around?Sign Up Free
Not ready to signup? Subscribe and we'll send you periodic emails with new features and info.